From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2016 22:03:44
1 On Thursday 01 Sep 2016 22:57:12 Kai Krakow wrote:
2
3 > Regarding performance:
4 >
5 > I wish Linux had options to relocate files (not just defragment) back
6 > into logical groups for nearby access. Fragmentation is less of a
7 > problem, the bigger problem is data block dislocation over time due to
8 > updates. In Windows, there's the wonderful tool MyDefrag which does
9 > magic and puts your aging Windows installation back into a state of an
10 > almost fresh installation by relocating files to sane positions.
11 >
12 > Is there anything similar for Linux?
13
14 Dale will pop in soon to mention the defrag application he was running on
15 reiserfs, but a potentially more effective defrag method irrespective of fs
16 (we're talking about spinning disks where this issue applies) is tar off/tar on
17 your data.
18 --
19 Regards,
20 Mick