From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage getting mixed up with USE?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 10:45:17
1 On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 11:53:19 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > As Daniel said, this is what portage needs, it's been that way since
4 > > the autounmask stuff was introduced.
5 >
6 > In other words, we must now all end up with giganticly bloated
7 > package.use files to satisfy every "built with use" requirement
8 > system-wide? What's wrong with looking at the defaults and saying
9 > "Gee, you know what, the implicit rules on the box are going to do the
10 > right thing anyway, so let's proceed and build the stuff?"
11
12 Are you saying the fltk is/would be built with -cairo anyway and the
13 recommended addition changes nothing? That sounds extremely undesirable
14 as it would make maintaining package.use much harder.
15
16 I was under the impression portage only did this if the USE flags for a
17 package needed to be changed from the current settings.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 "Everything takes longer than expected, even when you take
24 into account Hoffstead's Law." - Hoffstead's Law