From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 18:24:27
1 · Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>:
2
3 >> > In December 2006 I started a thread titled "Is Gentoo Healthy?" in
4 >> > which I was roundly put down for raising the possibility that the
5 >> > decline in the number of Gentoo users could possibly affect the
6 >> > remaining Gentoo users in a negative way.
7 >> >
8 >> > Is everyone still toeing that line? The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
9 >> > hasn't been published in almost two months. Is Gentoo destined to be
10 >> > just another distro starved for contributors and struggling to stay up
11 >> > to date? If so, I really misjudged it. The meta approach of Gentoo
12 >> > is superior to any other in my mind, and I think it's growth and
13 >> > potential are being stunted by the "we don't need them" attitude which
14 >> > perpetuates Gentoo's lack of usability features for beginners.
15 >> >
16 >> > Gentoo needs as many users as possible to reach its potential. It's a
17 >> > short-sighted mistake to think that non-contributing users do Gentoo
18 >> > no good. Non-contributing users become contributors as time passes.
19 >> > Car mechanics all start as car drivers.
20 >> >
21 >> > - Grant
22 >>
23 >> Hi Grant,
24 >> I think Gentoo is 'healthy', in the sense that it continues to
25 >> thrive. On the other hand I have, over the last 6-9 months started to
26 >> think of Gentoo as 'mature'. The distro has apparently become what it
27 >> is going to be. While that may not be all I hoped for it is clearly
28 >> worth while and a contributing member of the group of Linux distros so
29 >> that's great.
30 >>
31 >> As a non-developer, general work-a-day Linux user I do feel that
32 >> Gentoo has lost some of its energy. Maybe that's all part of becoming
33 >> a mature distro. When I first started with Gentoo in (I think 2000)
34 >> this was a very lively place and it was clear that there was a real
35 >> push on to grow the tools, grow the distro, grow the user base. While
36 >> I think that today those metrics would still be considered valuable,
37 >> it is not my view that there is a lot of energy being put into taking
38 >> things to the next level. (Whatever the heck that might be!)
39 >>
40 >> Anyway, I value Gentoo greatly. It's been a really great distro to
41 >> me. Folks have treated a non-IT Linux dummy like me with great respect
42 >> and for the most part a pretty gentle hand. I've learned a lot when I
43 >> wanted to. The documentation, in my mind, is second to none which
44 >> makes my life easier. (Sometimes....)
45 >>
46 >> What's in Gentoo's future? I haven't a clue. I have wondered a few
47 >> times in the last year if I'd have to look for another distro one of
48 >> these days.....but I never have. Two to three years ago that thought
49 >> never entered my mind.
50 >
51 > Hey Mark,
52 >
53 > Thanks for the insight. I hope it never happens, but if the day comes
54 > when Gentoo suffers a lack of contributors to such an extent that I
55 > have to find a new distro, where will I go? Is Debian the only other
56 > meta-distro out there?
57
58 No, Debian is no "meta-distro". It's a distribution just like
59 Fedora Core or Mandriva. The only thing that sets Debian apart
60 is, that it's a truely non-commercial distribution and that it
61 is quite big. Another "Debian specialty" is, that it has a "mission",
62 so to speak.
63
64 > It's not exactly thriving is it? Is the
65 > meta-distro concept perhaps flawed?
66
67 No, I don't think so. It's just not something which is completely
68 "main stream compatible". And I don't think that this is bad ;)
69
70 > The thought of installing the
71 > latest Ubuntu release, wading through a bunch of software I'll never
72 > use, and waiting for the next big release before anything is updated
73 > makes me wanna throw up.
74
75 Yep.
76