From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 18:59:57
1 On Friday 25 November 2011, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 21:35, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
3 wrote:
4 > > On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
5 wrote:
6 > >> I want to build a Gentoo server box whose structure is
7 >
8 > >> highly-partitioned, like this:
9 > ----- >8 snip
10 >
11 > > I don't use LVM but I suspect that on this list that would be the
12 > > #1 recommendation to take care of the numbers question.
13 >
14 > Everytime I read some guide on LVM, my eyes becomes blurry, the room
15 > starts spinning, and I can hear wolves howling ... :D
16 >
17 > Seriously, LVM looks mighty nice, but it also looks (and is!) mighty
18 > complex.
19 >
20 > So, I want to start from something simple.
21 >
22 > Aaaanyways, after reviewing my production boxes, I decided to
23 > implement the following strategy:
24 >
25 > / == 800 MiB
26 > /boot == 20 MiB
27 > /usr == 1800 MiB
28 > /usr/portage == 2000 MiB
29 > /var == 4000 MiB
30 > /var/lib/postgresql == 1000 MiB
31 >
32 > Comments, suggestions, are welcome :)
33 >
34 > Rgds,
35
36 IMO /usr/portage and /boot are too small, these are the respective sizes
37 in my system:
38
39 [root@aemaeth:~]$ du -sh /usr/portage
40 19G /usr/portage
41
42 [root@aemaeth:~]$ du -sh /boot
43 52M /boot
44
45 HTH
46 Francesco
50 Linux Version 3.1.1-gentoo, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 14 07:03:50
52 Two 1GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processors, 4GB RAM, 4021.84 Bogomips Total
53 aemaeth