From: Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is anyone using Nouveau graphics driver ?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 18:37:17
1 Dr Valdés, I'd really like to know more. Are you using a compositor; what
2 desktop environment? If I had had the positive experience you speak of, I
3 would adopt Nouveau in a heartbeat. Nvidia has clearly shown their lack of
4 interest in the Linux community by shunning higher console resolutions,
5 leaving a display port blanking bug unresolved for about 2 years and
6 haphazardly fixing bugs with features reported to be working on
7 miscellaneous branches of the driver, unreleased to the unwashed masses
8 (read up about Vulkan support, esp vs Rise of the Tomb Raider).
9
10 I would accept a framerate hit for an open-source driver. But rebooting my
11 main machine daily is off the cards. If I wanted that, I'd use that other
12 OS. I develop on that other OS, but my development machine can be rebooted
13 any time. My home machine has shit to get done.
14
15 -d