From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] App/plugin to play CD?
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 15:39:44
1 On Monday 08 May 2006 16:04, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > On 5/8/06, Stefán István <stefi@××××××××××××.hu> wrote:
3 > > hétfõ 08 május 2006 11.32 dátummal Walter Dnes ezt írta:
4 > > > I've been so used to playing mp3 files that I'm lost with real live
5 > > > audio CDs (not a data CD with mp3 files). The XMMS docs aren't really
6 > > > helpful. Do I need an additional plug-in? mplayer is worse.
7 > > > "mplayer /dev/cdrom" tries to play a file by that name. I emerged
8 > > > cdplay and "cdplay -c -v" gets the CD spinning and the output indicates
9 > > > that it is playing, but I get no sound. I have unmuted the CD player
10 > > > and set its volume via alsactl. One additional complication is that
11 > > > there is no headphone jack near the CD tray, so I assume I have to go
12 > > > via the soundcard.
13 > >
14 > > Has your CD player been connected with your sound card? If not, I think
15 > > you won't hear any sound.
16 >
17 > Stéfan is right, you need an analog audio cable connecting your CD
18 > drive to your soundcard (or, if your soundcard support it, a digital
19 > one). Else the drive can't send audio to your speakers.
22 no, he is not.
23
24 You don't need the audio-cable to hear music from a cd - just the right
25 application ;)
26
27 like:
28 kscd