From: Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Emerge -u -k package install order - broken system
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 14:33:43
1 Hi there,
2
3 I just tried to upgrade a older installation via binary packages and this
4 broke my system. After around 25 packages of almost 300 it stopped with error
5 and failing packages.
6
7 $ emerge
8 Failed to validate a sane '/dev'.
9 bash process substitution doesn't work; this may be an indication of a broken
10 '/dev/fd'.
11 $ ls -l /dev/fd/
12 insgesamt 0
13 lrwx------ 1 root root 64 6. Sep 14:18 0 -> /dev/pts/0
14 lrwx------ 1 root root 64 6. Sep 14:18 1 -> /dev/pts/0
15 lrwx------ 1 root root 64 6. Sep 14:18 2 -> /dev/pts/0
16 lr-x------ 1 root root 64 6. Sep 14:18 3 -> /proc/27261/fd
17
18 --> looks allright, but:
19
20 $ bash
21 bash: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by /lib64/
22 libreadline.so.8)
23
24 --> system broken(!), cannot start any shell anymore, cannot install anything
25 anymore and it's obvious that the system is bricked after reboot or even when
26 the ssh session I'm logged in is closed.
27
28 It seems like as if sys-libs/readline-8.1_p1-r1-1:0/8::gentoo is installed
29 *before* installing a suitable glibc, breaking any binary that has the useflag
30 readline (including bash).
31
32 Two questions:
33 How do I get out of this mess?
34 Why does portage not work in correct package order? Portage bug?