From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recent CUPS "upgrade" broke my printer server
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 02:39:52
1 On 7/15/06, Michael [Plouj] Ploujnikov <ploujj@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > There must be a good reason it isn't stable yet:
3 > http://www.gentoo-portage.com/net-print/cups
4 >
5 > On 7/15/06, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > I've been running cups happily on this box for a couple of years. It serves
7 > > print requests from two other computers I have, one running Ubuntu (also
8 > > running cups), and the other running WinXP.
9 > >
10 > > With the upgrade to 1.2.1-r2 from 1.1.23, some probelms arose:
11 > > 1) neither of the other machines can print through this server any more.
12 > > 2) When either of the other machines is running at all, requests to print
13 > > on this gentoo server lock up for just under 2 minutes before they
14 > > get to printing. If I shut down the other machines, printing returns
15 > > to normal locally.
16 > >
17 > > The error logs show a repeated error that doesn't ring a bell with me:
18 > >
19 > > E [15/Jul/2006:14:20:18 -0700] encrypt_client: Unable to encrypt
20 > > connection from 64.166.164.53!
21 > >
22 > > The config files changed a bit on the upgrade, and I did my best. The last
23 > > go 'round was through the web interface (once I got that working) so they've
24 > > all been rewritten by cups. I cannot claim to understand them completely.
25 > > Can anyone explain the @OWNER @SYSTEM things -- they sound good,
26 > > but I'm not truly clear on exactly what they do in cups.
27 > > I want to allow ports 631 (normal cups stuff from the Ubuntu machine) and
28 > > 515 (LPD things for WinXP).
29 > >
30 > > I've looked at the config files, and nothing jumps out at me. The one mention
31 > > of encryption is in the /auth section, which I don't use remotely
32 > > anyway. Here's
33 > > cupsd.conf:
34 > >
35 > > # Show general information in error_log.
36 > > LogLevel info
37 > > SystemGroup lpadmin
38 > > # Allow remote access
39 > > Port 631
40 > > Listen *:printer
41 > > Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
42 > > # Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
43 > > Browsing On
44 > > BrowseOrder allow,deny
45 > > BrowseAllow @LOCAL
46 > > BrowseAddress @LOCAL
47 > > DefaultAuthType Basic
48 > > <Location />
49 > > # Allow shared printing...
50 > > Order allow,deny
51 > > Allow @LOCAL
52 > > </Location>
53 > > <Location /admin>
54 > > Encryption Required
55 > > # Restrict access to the admin pages...
56 > > Order allow,deny
57 > > Allow localhost
58 > > </Location>
59 > > <Location /admin/conf>
60 > > AuthType Basic
61 > > Require user @SYSTEM
62 > > # Restrict access to the configuration files...
63 > > Order allow,deny
64 > > Allow localhost
65 > > </Location>
66 > > <Policy default>
67 > > <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job
68 > > Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription
69 > > Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job
70 > > Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job>
71 > > Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
72 > > Order deny,allow
73 > > </Limit>
74 > > <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes
75 > > Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job
76 > > Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer
77 > > Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer
78 > > Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer
79 > > CUPS-Add-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs
80 > > CUPS-Set-Default>
81 > > AuthType Basic
82 > > Require user @SYSTEM
83 > > Order deny,allow
84 > > </Limit>
85 > > <Limit CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
86 > > Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
87 > > Order deny,allow
88 > > </Limit>
89 > > <Limit All>
90 > > Order deny,allow
91 > > </Limit>
92 > > </Policy>
96 > > --
97 > > Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
98
99 Drat, I need a better memory. I got dragged into allowing unstable
100 because something else I wanted depended on it. Fortunately I
101 buildpkg; I'll just back up.
102
103 ++ kevin
106 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD