From: "Holger Hoffstätte" <holger.hoffstaette@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing BTRFS on MBR with OpenRC
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 11:50:03
1 On Thu, 06 Aug 2015 07:18:08 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > I'll skip the bits that were already dealt with.
4 >
5 > On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 5:19 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> First, btrfs balance. I had no idea that was needed, so of course I didn't
8 >> include it in my attempts. Could that be why, on booting, the kernel couldn't
9 >> mount the file system?
10 >
11 > It isn't necessarily essential, but btrfs fi df /mnt/gentoo will show
12 > you that before the balance there are still some chunks in single mode
13 > - it seems like mkfs creates the first device and adds the second one,
14 > leaving some residual non-RAID chunks (that hopefully will never have
15 > data written to them). The balance of an empty filesystem is really
16 > fast and completely converts it to raid1, so I figured it would be
17 > cleaner to do it this way. I have no idea what happens if those
18 > single chunks remain and you degrade the array.
19
20 Btw this should be fixed in btrfs-progs 4.1.3, hopefully out soon.
21 I have the necessary patch in my local overlay and no longer see
22 leftover single chunks after mkfs.
23
24 -h