From: Zac Slade <krakrjak@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: linux filesystem + transparent compression (rw)
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:53:23
1 On Tuesday 28 February 2006 13:48, Sascha Lucas wrote:
2 > what is the status of transparent compression in a linux filesystem
3 > (read/write)? wikipedia[1] says jfs has one. Is this true? I don't think
4 > so. Hans Reiser proclaimed to have a reiser4 compression plugin before
5 > 2.6.1[4-5]. Where is it? Has someone tried extz[2]? chattr(1) tells me to
6 > set the (c) attribute. But this seems not to work: writing 100MB /dev/zero
7 > to a --------c---- ./test file on a 100MB partion results in disk full.
8 I will speak to what I know, which is the reiser4 part of the story. There
9 will be no repacker/resizer or any other modules for the fs until it gets
10 merged into the kernel. During the process of getting reiser4 into mainline
11 many things about the implementation are changing so it is probably
12 impossible to write the compression or encryption modules until it gets
13 merged.
14
15 I don't consider it a lacking feature, just a nice checkbox to be able to
16 check. If we get transparent compression in the filesystems (that you can
17 toggle on and off) then that will be great news to marketers. It also could
18 be good news to embedded people if the compression isn't too processor
19 intensive.
20 --
21 Zac Slade
22 krakrjak@××××××××××.net