From: Manuel McLure <manuel@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2019 02:33:42
1 On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 7:12 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Howdy,
4 >
5 > I'm looking at printers. ... This is the model.
6 > Brother HL-L3270CDW
9 Looking at the specs for that Brother printer (I don't know why you linked
10 to the openprinting.org page for a Lexmark printer) it seems to have the
11 most important aspect for Linux compatibility - PCL6 emulation (PostScript
12 would also work, but you want to avoid anything that doesn't have one of
13 those two). It also has normal port 9100 network connectivity, so it should
14 work just fine under Linux for B/W. I can't find anything in the
15 Openprinting database for that specific Brother printer, some of the other
16 entries for Brother printers say you need a proprietary driver to get color
17 out of them. The entry for the *HL-3170* says it works perfectly but gives
18 no details. So I'd be a little wary going in.
19
20 As for duty cycle, 30,000 pages/month is the same that my old
21 built-like-a-tank HP Laserjet 4Mp had, so I wouldn't worry about it. Note
22 that the printer is going to come with "starter cartridges" that are only
23 good for about 1000 pages, and that the drum is also a consumable that
24 needs replacing after 18,000 pages. But 18,000 pages is a lot.
25 --
26 Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@××××××.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
27 ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
28 no man may kill a cat. -- H.P. Lovecraft