From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DontZap and Ctrl+Alt+Bs
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:53:57
1 On Freitag 24 Juli 2009, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:16:34 +0300 (EEST), Igor Nemilentsev wrote:
3 > > > complain to the fedora idiots who thought that zapping is not needed
4 > > > anymore?
5 > >
6 > > I don't know but do fedora's developers have an very serious
7 > > influence on Xorg development ?
8 >
9 > According to man xorg.conf, DontVTSwitch and DontZap both default to off.
10 > I can see the use for such options, when you don't want your users
11 > exiting X or even specific programs, but the default seems sensible. Is
12 > it just Fedora that change the defaults?
13
14 no, they changed the default from DontZap false to DontZap true. And all of
15 its proponents are fedora/redhat devs. Because ctrl+alt+backspace is bad for
16 emacs users (wtf? I have used emacs in the past - never a problem) or poor
17 stupid people hit it accidentally (and what happens when you do it in
18 windows?). So they changed this eternal old default. No matter that it is
19 extremly usefull to quickly kill a misbehaving X - or as a nice way to log out
20 of kde/gnome/whatever without having to click some confirmation first.
21
22 of course - ubuntu was happy about the change. But ubuntu is made for ...
23
24 grrrrrr