From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reconstructing a Gentoo Installer Computer
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 16:53:32
1 On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:01:05 -0400, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2
3 > the problem before was an incomplete understanding of how the USE Flags
4 > worked, and a mis-understanding of some advice that I was given. The
5 > procedure that I used last time was:
6 >
7 > rebuild the kernel
8
9 Fine
10
11 > Set use to USE="-*"
12
13 Aaargh!
14
15 > Emerge -e world
16
17 Unnecessary, but normally harmless.
18
19 > That procedure with the USE flags is what killed me.
20
21 Yes. Some USE flags are required, such as readline.
22
23 > What I should have
24 > done -- it now appears was to set use to blank (or comment it out) and
25 > allow it to use the base flags from the profile.
26
27 Yes, and then remove USE flags a few at a time, with USE="-xxx -yyy -zzz"
28 and recompile to see the effect.
29
30 > But trying to
31 > recompile from base with all use flags specifically excluded is what
32 > began to break stuff
33
34 You may have been able to recover by booting from the live CD, chrooting
35 into the system and rebuilding with fixed USE flags, but the system may
36 have been to hosed to allow this.
40 Neil Bothwick
41
42 Beware of low-flying butterflies.