From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Playing video and CPU usage
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 10:00:42
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On January 12, 2019 8:02:48 AM UTC, Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
3 > wrote:
4 >
5 > Sent from my iPhone
6 >
7 > On Jan 12, 2019, at 02:12, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > Just for giggles, I used VLC for a bit to play a video. It has
9 > a fair resolution and is a .mp4. It uses about the same amount
10 > of CPU power as Smplayer. I can't tell any difference even
11 > with the same video. It appears that it may be something
12 > besides the player.
15 > You have to go into settings and make sure VDPAU is enabled. You need to enable the vdpau USE flag. I have it set globally.
18 > Also, for OpenGL, ensure "eselect opengl list" shows nvidia selected.
19 >
20 > --
21 > Joost
22 > --
23 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
26 I enabled the vdpau USE flag globally and re-emerged the ones with
27 changed flags.  It wasn't many but got most video related stuff.  I then
28 set it up in Smplayer, will do VLC and others shortly.  I checked this a
29 few days ago and at the time, only nvidia was listed with eselect so it
30 was set to nvidia.  When I checked it just now, I had two, nvidia and
31 xorg-x11, and xorg was selected for some reason.  I set it back to
32 nvidia as it should be.
33
34 I just restarted Smplayer and the CPU is sitting at almost nothing when
35 playing a video and using vdpau.  I can't tell much difference between
36 when I am playing a video and when I'm not really.  However, while sound
37 is working, the video is iffy at best. It sort of comes and goes.  I've
38 tried different video file formats but get the same when using vdpau.
39 When I change it back to gl or something else, it works like it should.
40 That said, when using say gl (fast), the CPU is almost nothing now.  I
41 suspect it was the eselect opengl setting that was making things not
42 work right.  I'll keep playing with the vdpau driver when I have time.
43 I'm not sure how much improvement it will bring but if it should be
44 used, I'll give it a shot.
45
46 Thanks for the help.  Since I had already checked that eselect setting,
47 I didn't think it would be wrong.  As I've said before, it's those silly
48 little things that messes things up.  :/
49
50 Dale
51