From: Stuart Howard <stuart.g.howard@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Disk partition query
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:08:22
1 I have made an annoying error when setting up my new computer.
2 I installed Gentoo then winXP and made it dual boot, all of which has
3 gone fine however when I did this I partitioned my disk as shown the
4 theory being that I would assign space as required after all
5 installation. Unfortunatly I made the 4 partitions all primary! and
6 now I cannot make more partitions to consume the extra space.
7
8 Can I for example delete the swap and then create an extended
9 partition within the free space and finally create logical partitions
10 as required?
11
12 Can swap be assigned to an extended/logical partition?
13
14 I am being a little over cautious in asking this on list before I try
15 but after 3 days of compiling I am not in the mood to lose it all to
16 an avoidable mistake :)
17
18 Thanks
19 stu
20
21 Disk /dev/sda: 163.9 GB, 163928604672 bytes
22 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19929 cylinders
23 Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
24
25 Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
26 /dev/sda1 1 13 104391 83 Linux
27 /dev/sda2 14 78 522112+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
28 /dev/sda3 79 2628 20482875 83 Linux
29 /dev/sda4 * 2629 6275 29294527+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
32 "There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
33 binary, those who don't"
34
35 --Unknown
36 --