From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ff & chromium trapped in deafness or how to configure ALSA correctly
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 09:50:48
1 Maximilian Bräutigam wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > I recently bought a Zotac Barebone ZBOX HD-AD02 AMD E-350 and installed
5 > Gentoo on it, what is working more or less very well except the sound. I
6 > did everything according to gentoo and gentoowiki docs, I installed (due
7 > to laziness) a gentoo-sources kernel with genkernel and Sabayon linux
8 > standard configuration, and I am using pulseaudio, but when I launch
9 > firefox or chromium from console and play some sounds, I get lots of
10 > these error messages:
11 >
12 > "ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave"
13 >
14 > I already googled for it but didn't find something helpful. The Zbox has
15 > a HDMI and a standard device:
16 >
17 > # lspci -v | grep -i audio
18 > 00:01.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Device 1314
19 > 00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)
20 >
21 > # cat /proc/asound/cards
22 > 0 [Generic ]: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
23 > HD-Audio Generic at 0xfeb44000 irq 40
24 > 1 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
25 > HDA ATI SB at 0xfeb40000 irq 16
26 >
27 > You can find the complete alsa-info output at
28 > http://paste.pocoo.org/show/461744/
29 >
30 > For me, the interesting part is this section:
31 >
32 > **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
33 > card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
34 > Subdevices: 1/1
35 > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
36 > card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
37 > Subdevices: 1/1
38 > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
39 > card 1: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
40 > Subdevices: 1/1
41 > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
42 >
43 > Is is possible that ff and chromium are sending data to HDMI since it is
44 > card 0? If you think, it would be helpful to disable card 0 or change
45 > the order, please tell me how to do it?
46 >
47 > I highly appreciate all kinds of help!
48 >
49 > Kind regards,
50 > der Max
55 A silly question for a common problem. You did unmute the volume
56 right? The default is to have everything muted so it is very common for
57 folks to forget that little but important detail.
58
59 Also, on one of my rigs, I had to unmute with both Kimix and alsamixer.
60
61 Just a thought. I've done this myself.
62
63 Dale
64