From: Marc Schlienger <marcschlienger@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde3.4.3 with arts on amd64
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 15:44:11
1 Am Sonntag, 8. Januar 2006 14:59 schrieb Holly Bostick:
2 > Marc Schlienger schreef:
3 > > Am Sonntag, 8. Januar 2006 13:53 schrieb Holly Bostick:
4 > >> Marc Schlienger schreef:
5 > >>> Hi, I've installed kde3.4.3 with arts on my amd64 machine. Alsa
6 > >>> is working fine. But arts works only partially. All notification
7 > >>> sound doesn't work. Also I don't get sound when logging in. But,
8 > >>> for example, amarok works with the arts driver. Is this a known
9 > >>> bug? What can I do?
10 > >>>
11 > >>> Regards Marc
12 > >>
13 > >> Is aRTs set to use ALSA?
14 > >
15 > > Yes. It should also work with automatic detection. But it doesn't
16 > > work in either cases.
17 > >
18 > >> Secondly, you do have system sounds turned on, yes?
19 > >
20 > > This is also set. And when I push the Test-Sound-Button here I get no
21 > > sound.
22 > >
23 > >> Sound and Multimedia=> System Notifications.
24 > >
25 > > This is also all set to correct values.
26 > >
27 > > If it was that simple there will be no problem.
28 >
29 > Well, how were we to know that? We don't know you, we don't know if you
30 > know how to set up KDE properly, and you didn't tell us that you had
31 > already done so. A user new to KDE would not necessarily find that all
32 > so 'simple' as you do.
33 >
34 > So. Your settings are correct, and even though you don't have
35 >
36 > [StartProgress]
37 > Arts Init=true
38 > KNotify Init=true
39 > Use Arts=true
42 > ... it's "not the root of the problem".
43 >
44 > Why not? Because fixing it didn't make a difference? And if that isn't
45 > the root of the problem, it sounds like you have an idea what perhaps is?
46
47 On the one hand of all fixing it makes no difference and on the other hand
48 arts is also not working during logging in, for example.
51 > Shall we guess randomly? OK... have you checked KMix to make certain
52 > that it's unmuted and not taking over the mixer settings from ALSA?
55 Kmix has correct settings too.
56
57 > Do you have any other unusual conditions/setup relating to sound on your
58 > system? Multiple sound cards, recording setup?
61 I've go one sound card on my motherboard. The output of lspci is
62
63 00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio
64 Controller (rev a2)
65
66 The driver for that card is i8x0.
67
68 > Do you use any unusual compiler flags that might have caused arts to
69 > *seem* to compile all right, but in fact break?
72 My use flags are:
73
74 USE="amd64 X acpi alsa apache2 arts audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2
75 cdr crypt cups curl dbus dvd dvdr encode exif expat fam ffmpeg foomaticdb
76 fortran gd gif glut gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 hal idn imagemagick imlib ipv6
77 java jpeg kde lcms libwww lzw lzw-tiff mad mhash mng motif mp3 mpeg mysql
78 ncurses nls opengl pam pcre pdflib perl php plotutils png ppds python qt
79 quicktime readline scanner sdl spell ssl tcltk tcpd tetex tiff truetype
80 truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb userlocales xine xml2 xpm xv zlib
81 linguas_de userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
82
83 > How have you installed KDE? Split ebuilds? Monolithic build? If split
84 > ebuilds, what parts of KDE did you compile, and did you compile them all
85 > with arts support?
88 I've installed kde using split ebuilds. These are all packages:
89
90 de-base/kdebase-meta kde-base/kicker-applets kde-base/kontact
91 kde-base/kaddressbook kde-base/kdeartwork-kscreensaver
92 kde-base/kdeartwork-kwin-styles kde-base/kdeartwork-iconthemes
93 kde-base/kdeartwork-wallpapers kde-base/kdeartwork-sounds
94 kde-base/kdeartwork-styles kde-base/kdvi kde-base/kghostview kde-base/kpdf
95 kde-base/kde-i18n kde-base/kcachegrind kde-base/kcalc kde-base/kdict
96 kde-base/kgpg kde-base/kmail kde-base/korganizer kde-base/kregexpeditor
97 amarok k3b kmix
98
99 The "arts" use flag is set in /etc/make.conf. I've installed all packages with
100 arts support.
101
102 > Any further information would be helpful.
103 >
104 > Holly
105 --
106 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list