From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD64 Stability?
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 15:49:55
1 On 9/5/06, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 08:47:20 -0500, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
3 >
4 > > Can anybody on this list indicate what kind of stability they have seen
5 > > with AMD64 systems using Gentoo (the AMD 64-bit binaries)? How about
6 > > the majority of ports in the portage tree?
7 >
8 > I've been running ~amf64 for over two years with no real problems. There
9 > was a shortage of packages at first, but that was mainly due to a lack
10 > of testing. Keywording packages and filing bug reports when they worked
11 > helped with this.
12 >
13 > This system is now as stable (as in reliable, I still run ~amd64 so it's
14 > far from unchanging) as my x86 boxen.
17 > --
18 > Neil Bothwick
19
20 I've been running Gentoo AMD64 for about 15 months I think. The
21 machine is mostly running stable packages + proaudio overlay and runs
22 very well. Note that while I have no 'problems' with the machine there
23 are 'limitations' with much of the web based multimedia out there,
24 flash, Java. Stuff like that either does not run or is not as good as
25 my wife and son's Gentoo 32-bit machines. I have a 32-bit chroot to
26 get around that but hardly ever use it.
27
28 HTH,
29 Mark
30 --