From: "Kacper Kopczyński" <capsel@××××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: hard disk access and recovery impossible under linux ?
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:57:57
1 Dnia 2010-07-31, o godz. 16:15:51
2 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Samstag 31 Juli 2010, Kacper Kopczyński wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > My problem is really strange - I can't access my hard drive from
8 > > linux, but it works from windows without problems. It has some bad
9 > > blocks.
10 >
11 > it has a lot of bad blocks and a fucked up firmware it seems. No way
12 > it is working 'without problems'.
15 Well total space taken by bad blocks according to chkdsk is less than
16 1MB, windows is still able to access all data. Linux is only able to
17 see partition table "for a while" - as you can see in dmesg.
18
19 If firmware is broken then how it is possible that windows is able to
20 use this disk?
24 > > Here is dmesg: http://capsel.inten.pl/disk/dmesg
25 > >
26 > > cat /dev/sda gives no output, fdisk fails with "unable to
27 > > read /dev/sda". smartctl does not report model or serial, there is
28 > > no error log... hdparm shows "Invalid exchange" or
29 > > "Inappropriate ioctl for device", all commands failed.
30 > >
31 > > What else can I do?
32 >
33 > maybe ask kernel devs if there is a way to access the drive even with
34 > a capacity of 0 to copy everything from it before you stuff it in the
35 > garbage can?
38 Well.. I've backed up data from it already.
41 Kacper Kopczyński