From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: can not mount USB stick as user
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 19:19:48
1 On 06/02/2014 17:09, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Thursday 06 Feb 2014 14:30:24 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 06/02/2014 08:19, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >>> On Wednesday 05 Feb 2014 20:02:00 Joseph wrote:
5 > --->8
6 >>>> Here it is: grub.conf
7 >>>>
8 >>>> default 0
9 >>>> timeout 30
10 >>>>
11 >>>> title Gentoo Current Kernel
12 >>>> root (hd0,0)
13 >>>> kernel /boot/kernel-current root=/dev/hda3
14 >>>
15 >>> Shouldn't that hda3 in the kernel line be sda3?
16 >>
17 >> No, he said earlier in the thread that this is an ancient box using the
18 >> old deprecated IDE subsystem.
19 >>
20 >> His fstab refers to drives as hd?
21 >
22 > Yes, I saw that after I hit Send. (So what else is new?)
23 >
24 > Seems to me that too many things need updating before Joseph can switch to the
25 > latest thing in init systems.
26 >
27 > Maybe he should go back to his last working system (from backup?), go through
28 > his kernel config piecemeal, setting sensible options, and generally bring the
29 > box up to date. Then he can start experimenting with the latest ideas. (Sorry
30 > Joseph, I don't mean to talk about you as though you weren't here!)
31 >
32 > I forget: how many years is it since the ancient /dev/hd? scheme was
33 > superseded and deprecated?
36 Dim memory tells me it's somewhere around 2006/7?
37
38 I agree with your suggested approach. Joseph should first get world
39 fully updated and synced, then switch the kernel disk system over to the
40 new framework, verify all that as working nicely, and only then activate
41 systemd. Like Canek said, systemd doesn't magically get installed and
42 them just work. It runs at too low a level for that to happen in all cases.
48 Alan McKinnon
49 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com