From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't see /dev/hda1,2,3 but I know they exist...
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:19:23
1 On Friday 19 February 2010 09:07:59 James Homuth wrote:
2 > _____
3 >
4 > From: Hung Dang [mailto:hungptit@×××××.com]
5 > Sent: February 19, 2010 1:55 AM
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't see /dev/hda1,2,3 but I know they exist...
10 > On 02/18/10 22:49, James Homuth wrote:
11 >
12 > I performed a bit of an update on my laptop a day or two ago, and after
13 > reboot, I lost the ability to do anything with /dev/hda*. I currently have
14 > 0 swap space, and according to stat, ls etc, they don't exist. But,
15 > booting to an install CD I burned for diagnostic purposes, it sees them
16 > just fine. Also, and this is the strange part. It boots no problem, so the
17 > OS is able to mount at least /dev/hda3, even though from the command line
18 > I'm not seeing it. I'm probably missing something completely dead obvious
19 > (it's after midnight here and all), and Google's turning up nothing, so if
20 > someone could kindly slap me in the face with it, that'd be appreciated.
21 > Thanks either way for whatever help comes my way.
24 > How about /dev/sda1,2,3?
25 >
26 > There is no /dev/sda*, either. First thing I checked.
29 As your root-filesystem does appear to be mounted, can you give use the result
30 of the "mount" command to see how it identifies the root-filesystem?
31
32 I have seen harddrive naming schemes change between kernel versions. Eg. hda
33 might end up being hdb or hdc,... (same with sd.....)
34
35 Alternatively, to avoid this, you could use drive-labels and configure
36 /etc/fstab with these labels rather then the drive-items.
37
38 Can you also show us the dmesg-output to see if the drives are actually
39 identified?
40 If "udev" is not running correctly, the device-nodes might not be created
41 automatically.
44 Joost