From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 19:42:05
1 On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Giuseppe Pappalardo
2 <me@××××××××××××××××××.eu> wrote:
3 > On 10/26/2014 08:23 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
6 >> As to how do I maintain them, I wrote a little utility that I've been
7 >> using from the last year or so:
8 >>
9 >> https://github.com/canek-pelaez/kerninst
10 >>
11 >> With it, after I install a new kernel using the normal portage
12 >> procedure, I just do:
13 >>
14 >> eselect kernel set <new-version>
15 >> kerninst
16 >>
17 >> And that's it. Be aware that you need to provide your own kernel configuration.
18 >>
19 >> Regards.
20 >>
21 > How does this differs from just enabling the "symlink" USE flag in
22 > vanilla-sources?
23
24 AFAIU, the symlink USE flag just updates the /usr/src/linux link
25 automatically at install time (although I have never used it).
26
27 kerninst configures (using a user-provided .config file), compiles,
28 and installs the kernel in the correct location (/boot if using GRUB2,
29 a more complex location if using Gummiboot), and then it updates the
30 configuration of the boot manager (either GRUB2 or Gummiboot).
31
32 If you set the symlink USE flag, then using kerninst is even easier,
33 since you don't neet to eselect the new kernel.
34
35 Regards.
36 --
37 Canek Peláez Valdés
38 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias