From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] usb external drive
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 00:39:03
1 Hello,
2
3 I use ivman with usb sticks and move them between windoze
4 and linux systems without issue. I just got a FreeAgent
5 usb 2.0 external disk drive and expected it to work
6 just like a usb stick (not really sure why I had this expectation).
7
8 It does not show up with a 'df' command, like a usbstick
9 would under /media. I'm not sure why it does not behave like
10 a generic usb stick?
11
12 Anyway, the only doc I could find is of moderate usage.
13 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/usb-guide.xml
14
15 The device does not show up but I do get this error message to console:
16 df: `/media/sdb1': Input/output error
17
18 The kernel supports dos/fat file systems and the what the aforementioned
19 web page suggests for kernel options are included in my kernel.
20
21 I did manage to mount the device:
22 mkdir /mnt/usb
23 mount /media/sdb1 /mnt/usb
24
25 and then create and edit a file with vi.
26
27 What I'm looking for is a simple procedure I can use to set
28 up all my gentoo systems so I can easily move this drive from
29 machine to machine and have access to the files under gentoo
30 and windoz (2k,xp,vista).
31
32 ideas?
33 James
36 Any documents I missed or suggestions on seamless access are most welcome.
37 James
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list