From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X Freezes With Firefox on Many Post 2.6.38 Kernels
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 12:55:15
1 On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Peter Humphrey
2 <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > On Saturday 30 July 2011 11:17:52 Dale wrote:
4 >
5 >> What could have caused this?  Could it be a file system problem?  I
6 >> don't think it is a physical failure since it is working now after
7 >> giving it a fresh start.  I just don't get how this could have caused a
8 >> kernel panic.  This is plain weird.
9 >
10 > One possibility is that, having now written to almost every location on the
11 > disk, its controller has marked some faulty blocks that used to contain code
12 > in the disk subsystem. If it was reading damaged data, there's no surprise
13 > in anything that happened next!
14
15 Well, except that it should have thrown some errors when the
16 on-platter reed-solomon encoding didn't quite match.
17
18 If the controller flagged some faulty blocks, it should show up via
19 smartctl -A $DEVICE_NODE
20
21
22 --