From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] boot hangs forever at “Loading initial ramdisk...”
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 01:09:49
1 John Blinka wrote:
4 > On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 7:23 PM Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net
5 > <mailto:ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>> wrote:
8 > I'd start by removing any "quiet" or "splash" from the kernel command
9 > line.    You should be able to see them when you hit "e". I'm not
10 > sure
11 > if it will actually help, but it should be a start.
14 > Thanks, but neither one appears.  My command line is
15 >
16 > linux  /vmlinuz… root=UUID=… ro loglevel=4 nomodeset
17 >
18 > Here I’ve replaced the full name of the kernel and the uuid of the
19 > boot partition with ellipses because it’s too tedious to type.  I’ve
20 > scrutinized the actual ones for typos and am convinced there are
21 > none.  Leaving out the loglevel command doesn’t change the behavior at
22 > all.
23 >
24 > John
27 I hate these init thingys and will admit I know little about the
28 things.  I had a thought tho, could it be that the file system needed to
29 read the init thingy isn't included somehow or in the kernel maybe?  If
30 it is pointing to the right place, sounds like it is to me, then it has
31 to be a read problem I'd think.
32
33 I haven't ever had to use the edit menu on grub2 that I remember.  It
34 might be worth mentioning that it may have tab completion.  That would
35 certainly remove a typo if it can complete the kernel or init thingys
36 file name on its own.  Just a thought.
37
38 Going back under my desk now.
39
40 Dale