From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 07:13:48
1 Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
2 > 2011/7/5 Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
3 >
4 >> Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> 2011/7/4 Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> I don't think I am logged in long enough to change the settings. I may
10 >>>> try
11 >>>> my test user but I think a file got corrupted or something. I did have a
12 >>>> power failure the other day and the relay on my UPS was not quite fast
13 >>>> enough. I think the contacts may need some cleaning. My UPS does some
14 >>>> odd
15 >>>> things at times. I need a new one but they are pricey. I had forgot
16 >>>> about
17 >>>> the power failure issue. That has lead me down a different path now.
18 >>>>
19 >>>>
20 >>> You don't need much time. The default shortcut to disable compositing
21 >>> in kde is shift+alt+f12
22 >>>
23 >>> You can try the vesa driver, or any alternative that will work with
24 >>> your card, as well.
25 >>>
26 >>> I also had the usb issue that others said above, with previous kernel
27 >>> versions. I haven't seen it lately though, with 2.6.39.x.
28 >>>
29 >>>
30 >>>
31 >> I may try that if this re-emerge doesn't help any. It doesn't like much. I
32 >> just hope all the thunder I keep hearing will not force me to shutdown my
33 >> rig. I think Mother Nature is hungry since the tummy is growling a lot. :/
34 >>
35 >> Hmmm, I use Nvidia for my drivers. I don't even know if vesa is on here or
36 >> not. I might add that Fluxbox has been working. It even plays videos fine.
37 >> I'm not sure this is a video driver problem, not yet anyway.
38 >>
39 > There's one very important difference and it relates to all the post
40 > I've written in this thread: compositing. Fluxbox doesn't use that.
41 >
42 > You will need to start trying something sooner or later, if you
43 > discard problems like that without any further looking you might not
44 > find the problem ever.
48 I tried it. It still did the same thing. It did make things look
49 different tho. Sort of made it look funny in a way. That would be
50 funny as in strange.
53 >> I been using 2.6.38 for a while. I seem to have missed the USB bug. I
54 >> don't have much that uses it except for my printer and my camera. I don't
55 >> even have my printer hooked up most of them time. Maybe I do have some good
56 >> luck after all. o_O
57 >>
58 > A lot of people were hit by a nasty bug that hard locked the pc when
59 > plugging in usb storage devices. Your camera would fit that category.
60 > I remember a thread in the forum where most users affected by this had
61 > a similar motherboard and chipset.
62 >
63 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-882390-highlight-.html
64 >
65 > There's been some noise about this in many places, not just that
66 > thread. So you might want to take a look at it if you can't solve your
67 > problem recompiling the tray app.
71 I may have found the problem. It appears openldap has a issue which
72 effects some KDE packages as well. Started a fresh thread for that one.
73
74 Thanks.
75
76 Dale