From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kernel panic from hell!
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 04:12:32
Hi group,

I've been working and reading and tweaking and editing
all day and gentoo will not boot. Typical kernel
panic:

grub> root (hd0,0)

grub> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 ro
  [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1200, size=0x13d208]

grub>boot

,,,VFS: Cannot open root device "hda3" or
unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic-not syncing...unknown-block(0,0)

Panics for hda1 and hda3. Whether I use the device
names or grub (hd0,x) terminology. Whether or not I
declare a root dev after /vmlinuz

Yes, ext2fs support was compiled *into* the kernel.

There are 4 primary partitions:
hda1(boot-ext2),
2(swap),
3(root-ext2) and
4(home-ext2).

Very simple. No dual boot. No extended partitions.

e2fsck checks out for hda1 and hda3. No errors are
noted for the drive in dmesg or fdisk.

Is there something I haven't tried?

Maxim