From: Markus Kaindl <markus.kaindl@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update BIOS with 4MB .exe
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:48:37
1 Hi,
2
3 did you try, if your DELL is supported by libsmbios?
4 http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Dell_BIOS_Upgrade
5
6 Worked for me on 3 DELL-Computers (1 Desktop and 2 Laptops).
7
8 Markus
9
10 Grant schrieb:
11 > I'm amazed this is so difficult but I've just spent 3 hours trying to
12 > update the BIOS on my Dell XPS 13 and hit nothing but dead ends. The
13 > root of the problem seems to be that the 4MB BIOS update file is too
14 > large for the available 1.44MB DOS boot disks. Apparently FreeDOS had
15 > a LiveCD available at some point but it has reportedly been
16 > unavailable for quite some time.
17 >
18 > The following method looks promising but it also doesn't work. DOS
19 > can't seem to execute the .exe file which sits outside of the boot
20 > image:
21 >
22 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/FreeDOS_Flash_Drive
23 >