From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Cdrtools installation without suid root
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 12:55:37
1 On 29/04/13 14:33, Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o> wrote:
3 >> with the situation I have here. In my opinion it is a good idea to add
4 >> such an option. If you think otherwise I am fine with it and I have to
5 >> use other means to make cdrtools compatible with Gentoo.
6 >
7 > Cdrtools is compatible with "linux", if you believe it is not compatible with
8 > Gentoo for some reason, it might be better to change something in Gentoo.
9 >
10 > But please first explain what "option" you are talking about.
11
12 An option to forcibly enable and disable support. If enabled, the build
13 system assumes the library is there. If disabled, it assumes the
14 library is not there (even if it is). If not given at all, do
15 autodetection.
16
17 One thing I've learned in software development is that "the user knows
18 best." If the user has the library installed, he should still be able
19 to tell you "yes, I have that lib, but I don't want you to use it", and
20 vice versa.
21
22 Do not try to outsmart the user. You're only getting in the way :-)