From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Intel Mac Mini?
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:31:13
1 On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm considering attempting to set up an Intel Mac Mini as a
3 > MythTV frontend.  Right now I'm thinking I'll leave the
4 > internal drive alone and boot from net or from a USB flash
5 > drive.  That way I can spin down the internal HD and save on
6 > power and noise (and the standard OS-X install is still there,
7 > so it can be trivially switched back to normal desktop use).
8 >
9 > I've been googling for info on running Linux on a Mac Mini, and
10 > there was fairly active discussion 3-4 years ago, but very
11 > little recent info.  That leads me to either of two
12 > conclusions:
13 >
14 >  1) It can't be done and everybody gave up.
15 >
16 >  2) It's so trivial that people no longer need to ask about it.
17 >
18 > So, how hard would it be to do a USB or network-based Gentoo
19 > install for a recent Intel Mac Mini?
22 Grant,
23 I have a Myth frontend only running on the terribly underpowered
24 and vastly overpriced PPC MM. I'm sure you'll be fine on the Intel MM.
25
26 My input with Gentoo would be that if the CD boots it will work.
27
28 - Mark