From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Am I wrong?..
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 10:04:51
1 On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 04:36:47 -0500, forgottenwizard wrote:
2
3 > > > It isn't always on the users sytem. Providing a non-existent default
4 > > > seems quite broken to me.
5 > >
6 > > That's true of every editor, so you have to choose the one that is
7 > > most likely to be there, the one that is installed for the stage
8 > > tarballs and is there unless the user has taken specific steps to
9 > > remove it.
10 >
11 > Or you could try to find a suitable default intelligently instead of
12 > blindly compiling in a default that may or may not exist. Worse still is
13 > blindly doing so without telling the user.
14
15 The user is told. the handbook clearly explains how and why to set
16 EDITOR. nano is only used when EDITOR cannot be found, in other words its
17 a suitable default for a broken system.
18
19 > And if you, say, have two editors installed that satisfy virtual/editor?
20
21 How is this a problem? As long as a working editor is available to edit
22 sudoers, nothing else is important, because once you are editing sudoers
23 you can change the default in there.
24
25 I fail to see why this is an issue in the first place, if you can set and
26 environment variable or add a single line to a config file, you really
27 should reconsider your choice of distro.
28
29 At least I've learned one thing from this thread, I didn't even know that
30 visduo had a built-in default choice of editor, mainly because it's
31 always used the one I wanted it to.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 Deja Foobar: A feeling of having made the same mistake before.