From: Nilesh Govindrajan <me@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Overclocking CPU causes segmentation fault
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 18:45:36
1 On Wednesday 23 January 2013 12:05:45 AM IST, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 wrote:
3 > Am 22.01.2013 08:41, schrieb Nilesh Govindrajan:
4 >> So I have this old E2180 processor and no money as of now to buy a new
5 >> rig :P
6 >> I'm trying to overclock my CPU using BIOS host clock control and
7 >> everything is fine at 2.6 Ghz up to bootloader.
8 >>
9 >> Kernel segfaults. Any idea why? I'm running pf-kernel 3.7.2 and it
10 >> doesn't work with vanilla kernel either.
11 >>
12 >> Intel MCE is disabled in kernel configuration.
15 > and now you know why overclocking is stupid. (disabling mce is stupid
16 > too btw).
17 >
18 > Before there are segfaults there are silent data corruption errors. The
19 > file you downloaded and saved to the disk? Damaged - and you won't
20 > know... or you will, when those errors add up, turning precious data
21 > into binary garbage.
22 >
23 > Only overclock if there is nothing of worth on your computer - and
24 > nothing of worth done with it. But in that case - why use it in the
25 > first place?
26 >
27 > Don't be stupid. Don't overvlock.
30 Enabled MCE back after realising it's RAM issue. Anyway, it's too much
31 work running torture tests. Back to safe levels.
34 Nilesh Govindarajan
35 http://nileshgr.com