From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-devel/llvm and LLVM_TARGETS
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 03:57:28
1 On 2022-03-12, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 12/03/2022 18:03, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> On 2022-03-12, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On 12/03/2022 10:43, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> https://bugs.gentoo.org/767700
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Is that the one?  It mentions the target but I don't quite understand
8 >>>> the why.  The biggest thing, will this break something if I let it do
9 >>>> it?
10 >>>
11 >>> No. Unlike GCC, LLVM/Clang is always a cross-compiler.
12 >>
13 >> You can't use LLVM/Clang to compile for the host on which it's
14 >> running?
15 >
16 > Why not?
17
18 Because "LLVM/Clang is always a cross compiler".
19
20 A cross compiler is a compiler that compiles for a target
21 architecture/OS different than that of the host on which it is
22 running.
23
24 Therefore, LLVM/Clang always compiles for a target architecture/OS
25 different than that of the host on which it is running.
28 Grant