From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with emerge -uD world
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 14:40:34
1 On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 08:04:27 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 >>>> I do not, have never, and likely will never, trust this beast.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> vi + eyeballs is my preferred tool :-)
9 >>>>
10 >>
11 >> You're not supposed to trust it. It gives a starting point for ${EDITOR}
12 >> and eyeballs.
15 >>> vi ? LOL I have used autounmask and so far it has not broke anything.
16 >>> I also like the way it separates what it adds from what was already
17 >>> there. It puts little separators in there so you can easily remove the
18 >>> lines it added.
19 >>>
20 >>
21 >> If /etc/portage/packages.{unmask,keywords} are directories, it puts its
22 >> entries in a separate file, which is even easier to work with.
27 > I really need to change over to the directory method. That just sounds
28 > soooo cool. Autounmask creating a new file makes it even better.
29 >
30 > Thanks for that tip.
31
32 For things like the KDE overlay it's almost required to do it that way
33 if you want to keep your sanity. You can just make a symlink to the
34 unmask and keywords files in the overlay so it automagically is
35 updated when you re-sync it :)