From: Wynn Wolf Arbor <wolf@××××××.systems>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia GeForce GTX 960
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2020 18:45:14
1 Hi Silvio,
2
3 I think the problem is that you have told portage to use both nouveau
4 and nvidia as a driver for your card. If you have both drivers installed
5 and do not blacklist one of them, the other will not work.
6
7 > # modprobe nvidia
8 > modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': No such device
9
10 If nouveau takes control of the card first, for example, you will not be
11 able to load the nvidia module anymore, just as it happens to you here.
12
13 > # lspci | grep VGA
14 > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] (rev a1)
15
16 You can run 'lspci -k' to see which driver is in use for a PCI device.
17 This will probably return 'nouveau' for you. You can also check lsmod
18 for the 'nouveau' module.
19
20 > # cat /etc/portage/make.conf | grep VIDEO
21 > VIDEO_CARDS="nouveau nvidia"
22
23 I'm assuming you want the proprietary driver, so change this to read the
24 following and run 'emerge -c' to get rid of the superfluous driver:
25
26 VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
29 Wolf