From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] grub:2 first experience with it
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 16:55:54
1 Setup:INSTALLING gentoo(amd64) in VBox vm guest - win-10 (64bit) host
2 Hardware: HP xw8600 - 2x Xeon CPU X5450 @ 3.00GHz - 32 GB ram
3
4 Installing grub:0 was my first attempt, since I kind of know my way
5 around that and have never used grub:2. But, ran into several problems
6 concerning ncurses and gpm and somehow involving competing versions of
7 perl.
8
9 Seemed like enough of a mess to just break down and take the plunge,
10 going with the flow toward grub:2
11
12 The amd64 hand book offered this for emerge --backtrack=30
13 But apparently that was enough or not the right thing for the
14 mess I was making.
15
16 After going through the pages https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2
17 I tried a couple of edits that seemed to be suggested there and some
18 USE flag changes (didn't record what I did so quickly lost track of
19 the things and the sequence)
20
21 I did have this set GRUB_PLATFORMS="emu" which is suggested in the
22 help pages.
23
24 But in the initial grub commands there was a complaint about not
25 understanding emu or something to that effect.
26
27 So emerge -vC grub:2 and started over.
28
29 Got grub:2 installed (Note that I removed the
30 (GRUB_PLATFORMS="emu") this time and allowed the system to
31 handle that on its own. Ok, so got it installed alright.
32
33 USE flags and GRUB_PLATFORMS came up like this:
34
35 USE="doc fonts nls sdl themes truetype -debug -device-mapper -efiemu
36 -libzfs -mount -multislot -static {-test}"
37 GRUB_PLATFORMS="(efi-64 pc) -coreboot -efi-32 -emu -ieee1275
38 -loongson -multiboot -qemu -qemu-mips -uboot -xen -xen-32
39
40 I quit trying to mess with anything except two variables I changed
41 from the defaults in /etc/default/grub.
42
43 /etc/default/grub:
44 # Boot the default entry this many seconds after the menu is displayed
45 GRUB_TIMEOUT=8
46 Changed from 5 to 8 seconds
47
48 # The resolution used on graphical terminal.
49 # Note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE.
50 # You can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'.
51 #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480
52 GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024x32
53
54 So I took a stab hoping the vbox screen would allow such a setting.
55
56 (Now after the inital boot and reboot I'm currently installing that
57 tool to make sure of the graphic setting [sys-apps/vbe-tool])
58
59 Back to the way I got here:
60
61 Ran install-grub
62 (completed successfully)
63
64 Attempted to run update-grub, but that script was nowhere to be found.
65
66 qlist grub:2 |grep update shows its not part of grub:2 pkg.
67
68 Just to make sure I re-installed grub:2 once more.
69 Completed successfully.
70
71 But no update-grub
72
73 Googled up a page that shows what the script is supposed to do; all
74 pretty basic stuff.
75 Ended up writing my own: I did put a little bloat in it but still
76 does the same stuff:
77
78 cat update-grub
79
80 #!/bin/sh
81 cmd='/usr/sbin/update-grub'
82 set -e
83 if mount |grep /boot;then
84 echo " /boot is mounted .. running
85 exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg \"\$\@\""
86 exec grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg "$@" &&
87 if [[ "$?" < 1 ]];then
88 echo "$cmd ran successfully"
89 fi
90 else
91 echo " /boot is not currently mounted, please mount /boot
92 and rerun this command:
93
94 /usr/sbin/update-grub"
95 fi
96
97 Maybe that is where I've messed things up.
98
99 On boot instead of getting a grub menu, I got a grub command line.
100 in one of those really small consoles inside a vbox vm.. . the default
101 console I guess.
102
103 I bumbled my way thru and managed to boot the OS, so at least my
104 kernel config worked straight away for a change.
105
106 I'm really not sure at all where to begin trying to debug this.
107
108 I can see my self trying different things until "Maybe" something
109 works....
110
111 I could really use some more of this lists generous patience and some
112 kind of scheme to get this working like I want.