From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about to give up on systemd and gnome
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 09:38:16
1 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 24 May 2014 15:29:34 -0400
4 > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >
6 > > OK, here is what is happening -- if I do a startx & in any console
7 > > where I am logged in, I get a gnome session on that tty (wish it was
8 > > on the unused one), and I seem to be good to go. However when I try
9 > > to use gdm, I no longer get the oh no stuff, but it seems I get a
10 > > list of some of my userids, but I can't do anything, I can up arrow
11 > > to one of them, but hitting enter does nothing. Also, tab does
12 > > nothing, nor do left/right arrow keys and strangely enough, my name
13 > > is not among the listed ids.
14 > >
15 > > Here is a log segment from start to stop of gdm.
16 > >
17 > > https://covici.com/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=3bae607fe4d5043b325b6339e3672c84
18 > >
19 > > I hope someone can make sense of this because after this happened my
20 > > regular ttys won't scroll once they get to the last line and the only
21 > > way to solve this problem is to reboot the system.
22 >
23 > This might be PAM related:
24 >
25 > gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: initializing PAM;
26 > service=gdm-password username=krnotley seat=seat0
27 > gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: Set PAM environment
28 > variable: 'XDG_SEAT=seat0'
29 > gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: 1 new messages
30 > received from PAM
31 > gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: received pam message
32 > of type 1 with payload 'Password: '
33 > gdm-password][4972]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): conversation
34 > failed
35 > gdm-password][4972]: pam_unix(gdm-password:auth): auth could
36 > not identify password for [krnotley]
37 > gdm-password][4972]: gkr-pam: no password is available for user
38 > gdm-password][4972]: gkr-pam: no password is available for user
39 > gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: PAM conversation
40 > returning 19: Conversation error
41 > gdm-session-worker[4972]: <7>GdmSessionWorker: uninitializing PAM
42 >
43 > A failing conversation here looks odd to me; so, maybe this krontley
44 > user is bugged (preventing others from being listed?) or PAM itself
45 > isn't working properly at all?
46 >
47 > Check the following link which can be a possible solution to this:
48 >
49 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd#systemd-logind_.26_pam_systemd
50 >
51 > Other than that I see gnome-settings-daemon failing as it exits with
52 > code 1, but with no clear warning or error; from experience with that,
53 > that could be a reason to display or usage problems. A way to debug
54 > this could be to restart it in the shell to catch more output, if any;
55 > but I'm more suspicious about PAM so try to get PAM fixed first.
56 >
57 > It could just as well be failing because you shutdown GDM; it might be
58 > more clear if you capture a log where you don't shutdown GDM, as then
59 > the last messages would be much more related to the problem at hand.
60 OK, here is a link to the messages without me doing anything in gdm at
61 all, just starting it.
62
63 https://covici.com/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=85cffe78261eacc915379ff5d5449d18
66 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
67 How do
68 you spend it?
69
70 John Covici