From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving things around
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 22:33:07
1 On Sunday, 27 March 2022 22:04:45 BST Dale wrote:
2 > Wol wrote:
3 > > My three 3TB partitions are raided, and /dev/md/home is my PV. I've
4 > > only allocated the space to LVs that they need, so I could probably
5 > > shrink the PV and remove a drive without needing to mess about with my
6 > > LVs at all. I get the impression you may have allocated all your
7 > > space, not a good idea.
8 >
9 > I did allocate all the space because at the time, I wasn't considering
10 > encrypting any of that data or dividing it up. Things have changed and
11 > I want to move things around. This is one of the good things about ext4
12 > and LVM. They can shrink in size fairly easy. Of course, backups are
13 > always a good idea.
14 >
15 > > My attitude is my data is backed up, expanding an LV/FS is low risk,
16 > > I'll just grow stuff as I need to ... my /home partition contains
17 > > proper home drives, things like videos may be in /home/videos, but
18 > > they're actually a separate partition, etc etc.
19 >
20 > That's sort of what I'm going to do. I'm going to divide things into
21 > sections with some encrypted and some not.
22
23 I wonder if all you want to do is to encrypt some directories on your /home,
24 then a different level of encryption would be more appropriate? Instead of
25 encrypting a whole block device, you could just encrypt a directory tree or
26 two, using ext4 encryption. e4crypt has been kicking around for a few years
27 now and it is meant to be an improvement on eCryptfs.
28
29 https://lwn.net/Articles/639427/
30
31 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Ext4_encryption
32
33 WARNING: I'm not qualified to speak about this topic because my experience is
34 limited, but I'm interested all the same in reading your approach and other
35 contributors advice.