From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: cnodes@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Avoiding core dumps
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:47:42
1 On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 22:12:49 +0100
2 Christoph Nodes wrote:
3
4 > Dear gentoo users,
5 >
6 > since a few months I am getting core dumps in / and $HOME/ on my
7 > notebook. I am not aware of having changed anything with my PAM or
8 > similar settings. Has there be any changes to the default policy in
9 > PAM concerning core dumps?
10 >
11 > I would like to suppress the generation of core dumps for normal
12 > users.
13 >
14 > ulimit -c as normal user gives me 976 block as root I get 0. I know
15 > that setting ulimit -c 0 in .bash_profile or .profile could be a
16 > solution but I'm looking for a more appropriate way to avoid core
17 > dumps for normal users.
18 >
19 > I already read http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml but the
20 > information there seems to be somehow outdated since I don't have a
21 > /etc/limits.conf only a /etc/limits. But AFAIK this ought to be
22 > irrelevant for me as I am using PAM?
23 >
24 > Anyhow, I did not change anything to /etc/security/limits.conf or
25 > /etc/limits, i.e. everything in these files is commented out. I also
26 > checked /etc/conf.d/rc and it seems to be ok.
27 >
28 > So how can I get rid of these core dumps?
29 >
30 > I am using sys-libs/pam-0.78-r5.
31 >
32 > Some more general information about my system:
33 > # emerge --version
34 > Portage 2.1.2-r9 (default-linux/x86/2006.1, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.5-r0,
35 > 2.6.19-ck2-r1 i686)
36 >
37 > What else?
38 >
39 > Thanks in advance.
40 >
41 > Best regards,
42 > Christoph
43
44 As best I know, it's the ulimit setting that's relevant and pam is not
45 involved.
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list