From: Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how do you keep up with system administration?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:46:08
1 On 5/29/07, Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > How often do you sync with the current portage tree and compare it
3 > your versions in "world"? Should one do this once a week? Once in
4 > two weeks?
5 >
6 > How often to you update major components, like Xorg, kernel, and
7 > system tool chain? As soon as new things become available, or, say,
8 > once a month or so?
9 >
10 > The reason I ask is because I often don't have a lot of time to devote
11 > to system administration on a regular basis but do want to keep my box
12 > updated as much as possible. How do some of you non-developers
13 > balance system administration with your "day job"?
14 > --
15 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
19 I have 2 gentoo boxes in our apartment(one's quiet since we just moved
20 and I haven't gotten back to it yet), I sync around once a week, and
21 -uDavN world when I sync. If there are packages that look important
22 (gcc, glibc, baselayout, etc) I do a bit more research. I watch
23 gentoo.org and this list. The only time I put off an update is if I
24 see notes about it on gentoo.org or such; things like the xorg modular
25 ebuilds, the new java system, etc. I have portage email me the elog.
26
27 It's just me and my wife using the boxes, so I'm not as careful as I
28 would be were it a production server, but I've never really been
29 bitten, either. As for balance with what I'm actually paid to do, if
30 I'm taken up with work, I don't update until I get some free time.
33 Ryan W Sims
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list