From: Hund <lists_gentoo@×××××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What groups should user "root" be in?
Date: Thu, 20 May 2021 10:34:26
1 On May 20, 2021 11:42:23 AM GMT+02:00, Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >Aisha,
3 >
4 >On Wednesday, 2021-05-19 19:14:27 -0400, you wrote:
5 >
6 >> ...
7 >> Are you running your machine day-to-day as root?
8 >> That sounds like a recipe for disaster...
9 >
10 >Of course not. But if that quote [1] had any substance in it, it COULD
11 >happen that some deamon running as user "root" failed because of "root"
12 >not being in the correct groups.
13 >
14 >> That preaching aside, I do have audio working as a normal user and my groups are -
15 >>
16 >> $ groups aisha
17 >> wheel video portage lxc lxd aisha
18 >> $ groups root
19 >> root bin daemon sys adm disk wheel floppy tape video lxc lxd
20 >
21 >So neither your own id nor "root" is a member of group "audio" and audio
22 >is working nevertheless. Hum, that just triggers the next question to
23 >all Gentooers: What the heck is group "audio" good for?
24 >
25 >> ...
26 >> > [1] https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=3640443#post3640443
27 >