From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is supporting officially Snap packages?
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 08:02:22
1 On Thursday 16 Jun 2016 21:25:01 J. García wrote:
2 > El jue, 16-06-2016 a las 19:40 -0400, José Maldonado escribió:
3 > > That is possible, but the goal is to serve Snap container for
4 > > applications that can be downloaded and used by the user, down a
5 > > single
6 > > binary that will have all the dependencies in that binary. Docker and
7 > > LXC obviously can do this, but its scope and possibilities are much
8 > > larger and are not addressed within the scope of normal user of a PC.
12 > Docker doesn't get the applications down to a single binary, it's a
13 > package containing everything. A single binary would be something like
14 > what Go does by default, as it compiles every source package imported
15 > into the final binary, that's why even a "hello world" takes ~2MB.
19 > > >
20 > > >
21 > > > [AFAIK, Flatpak's for GUI apps accessed via Gnome Software so it's
22 > > > not
23 > > > quite a Snap competitor.]
24 > > >
25 > > >
26 >
27 > They say it's not a GNOME thing only, but born in the GNOME project,
28 > Quote from their FAQ:
29 >
30 > "Is Flatpak tied to GNOME?
31 >
32 > No. While Flatpak has been developed by people with a long involvement
33 > in the GNOME community it is not tied to any desktop. In fact, it was
34 > designed with the explicit goal of allowing it to build applications
35 > using any library stack or programming language an application author
36 > might want."
37 >
38 > I would say is the implementation of something that Lennart P. wrote in
39 > his blog a while back[1](I don't know to what extent is 'his' idea, or
40 > if it just happens that he wrote about it after discussing it with
41 > others), but it seems that he didn't write code for it(I looked at the
42 > contributors in GitHub)
43 >
44 > > Flatpak and Snap, have GUI and command-line. In addition, Flatpak
45 > > packages weigh less than their counterparts Snap, and right now
46 > > several
47 > > free software projects officially support it, including LibreOffice.
51 > The flatpak packages take less space because there's a separation
52 > between runtimes and applications, with the runtime(s) containing many
53 > of the libraries/packages required by an application, and intended to
54 > be used by many of these, and the application package only containing
55 > the remaining required libraries, or maybe only the app, so it could
56 > reduce but not eliminate the problem previously discussed of
57 > dependencies being left unmaintained and not upgraded with security
58 > fixes. IMHO Flatpak seems a better option than Snap, and certainly
59 > reducing file system and device access is a good thing about both, but
60 > with these advantages some other problems are created, so it's a trade-
61 > off.
62 > As Andrew Savchenko said previously Snap seems like C:\Program Files
63 > for Linux, but I would add 'with sandboxing' and other security
64 > features, and that certainly makes it better than than Windows to be
65 > fair.
66 > Maybe we will see Snaps/Flatpaks of popular proprietary software that's
67 > only available for Windows and MacOS right now that has no real FOSS
68 > competitor e.g. AutoCAD and family, I often hear the excuse of these
69 > vendors not supporting Linux because of the many distributions. Getting
70 > LibreCAD to the level of AutoCAD would take a decade or more at the
71 > pace it is going, right know it reminds me of AutoCAD 2004, and it
72 > isn't even a that level. Trying to be optimistic maybe we'll see a new
73 > wave of users in Linux as a result of these new packaging systems, and
74 > in the long run if the GNU/Linux user base grows and learns about the
75 > Free Software philosophy and get tired of having to pay large sums of
76 > money to Autodesk and other companies for a yearly permission to use
77 > their software, they would contribute to the FOSS alternatives with
78 > money to get people working full time on these, and we could see them
79 > grow to be real competitors.
80 > That said I hope upstreams don't start bundling libraries into their
81 > software as a result of this(at least not more than some already do
82 > now), that's really annoying and it could create a nightmare of the
83 > likes of java(I mean most java developers seemingly putting every jar
84 > they come across in their 'source' trees and then forget about it for
85 > the rest of their lifes, or at least until Oracle breaks them, after
86 > years and years of deprecation).
87 >
88 > [1] http://0pointer.net/blog/revisiting-how-we-put-together-linux-syste
89 > ms.html
92 How does Nix compare to flatpack, docker, snap, et al. from a gentoo
93 perspective?
94
95 https://nixos.org/nix/about.html
98 Regards,