From: "Elaine C. Sharpe" <elaine@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating world
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 19:27:27
1 In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
2 > On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Elaine C. Sharpe
3 ><elaine@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> In linux.gentoo.user, Peter Humphries wrote:
5 >>> On Monday 28 March 2011 18:27:03 Elaine C. Sharpe wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> But yes, top posting does suck -- almost as badly as all the
8 >>>> "==20" crap polluting all the kmail users' messages. Almost.
9 >>>
10 >>> Would you mind sending me an example of this from me and my kmail?
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> Apparently not everyone who uses kmail has the problem.
14 >> Maybe it's the people who use html mail?
15 >
16 > The ==20 stuff is a result of quoted-printable MIME encoding. It does
17 > not have anything to do with HTML but they can usually be found as
18 > partners in crime...
19
20 Thanks for the info.
21 Oddly, it's mostly non-geeky folks like my Mom who send me confusing
22 mails with weird encoding issues or html with inscrutable characters.
23 Surprised to see it here, usenet being a text medium and all. But
24 perhaps there are a lot of members who don't know, use, or care about
25 nntp. And maybe the gateway is merely semi-adequate at stripping non-
26 text.
27
28 Well, it's just one of those things we have to live with, I guess,
29 like my mother's emails with links to scam sites and explaining again
30 and again how to use google. Such a burden, being exceptionally
31 competent, isn't it?
32 :)
33
34 --
35 ...she kept arranging and rearranging the rabbit and kind of waving to it. I decided, "this is the person I want to sit next to".