From: Daniel Wagener <stelf@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 3.8 and external drivers
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:05:28
1 On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 21:53:42 +0100
2 Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Am 10.03.2013 19:28, schrieb Daniel Wagener:
5 > > Hello,
6 > >
7 > > I ran into some trouble about an hour ago…
8 > >
9 > > My workstation has an onboard Realtek Ethernet which only works
10 > > with the r8168 driver. Unfortunately, this driver is not in the
11 > > kernel, but available to be compiled as a kernel module. (I guess
12 > > because of som patents) That worked for quite some time, until i
13 > > thought "hey, you got an hour of time, your workstation is still on
14 > > 3.7.4, why don't you just upgrade it to 3.8.2?" So I did, only to
15 > > find out that Linus and his friends changed the way drivers are
16 > > initialized… (__devinit got unsupported for example)
17 > >
18 > > Of course, the guys who wrote that r8169 have not changed their
19 > > code yet.
20 > >
21 > > tl;dr:
22 > > My network is broken since 3.8.0.
23 > >
24 > > So for an immediate fix I am emerging 3.7.10 (since emerge
25 > > --depclean deleted the Kernel source when it found the source fo
26 > > 3.7.8 which got removed as soon as 3.8.2 was emerged…) to get it
27 > > working again. For the long run im thinking of buying a PCI(e) card
28 > > with Kernel support. Or maybe, if I find some time I will fix the
29 > > driver myself.
30 > >
31 > > My question now is:
32 > > Who should I talk to so something like this does not happen again?
33 > > A certain gentoo dev, who could issue warnings on emerging kernels,
34 > > something like excerpts from the changelog? Myself, because I
35 > > missed what I described above? The devs of the r8169?
36 > > Linus & co for breaking things?
37 > > Myself bcause I forgot something else?
38 > > Realtek?
39 > > Or someone completely different?
40 > >
41 > so, you are using a superfluous external driver. Despite the fact that
42 > external drivers are prone to breaking you insist on using the latest
43 > kernel, instead using the latest kernel of one of the stable kernel
44 > series like 3.4. To add insult to injury you remove kernels after
45 > installing instead of after testing.
46
47 well… I guess that sums it up… :(
50 () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
51 /\ www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments