From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to tar?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:20:04
1 On Friday 24 March 2006 05:53, "Michael Kintzios"
2 <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk> wrote about 'RE: [gentoo-user] How to tar?':
3 > -----Original Message-----
4 > From: Benno Schulenberg [mailto:benno.schulenberg@×××××.com]
5 > > Michael Kintzios wrote:
6 > > > what I think is needed
7 > > > here is untarring of the archive, while untarred data is
8 > > > dynamically deleted immediately after untarred to make space for
9 > > > more data to be untarred . . . do I make sense?
10 > >
11 > > Yes, but GNU tar cannot do that, it can only do one command at a
12 > > time, either --extract or --delete or ...
13 >
14 > Yes, that's why I was hoping that some clever bash-ery may be able to
15 > pipe the lot together.
16
17 Perhaps:
18 tar xvf gentoo_usr.tar | while read file; do tar --delete f gentoo_usr.tar
19 "$file"; done
20
21 That might just screw up your tar file and/or extract junk; I didn't test
22 it at all.
25 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
26 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
27 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
28 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list