From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New install on x86 and login to KDE fails
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:42:03
1 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 >
3 > Are the usual suspects running?
4 > Like dbus and consolekit?
8 Yep. I made sure dbus and consolekit was up a running. I even made
9 sure the process was running, just to be for sure and for certain. ;-)
12 > which kde-package(s) did you emerge?
16 I use kde-meta. I just pull in the whole thing and then I know I got
17 everything satisfied as far as dependencies and such.
18
19 >> Oh, another odd thing I noticed. When I start kdm, I can't switch back
20 >> to a console. That is starting to piss me off. I can't login to KDE
21 >> and it won't let me go back to a console either. Is that related or a
22 >> separate issue?
23 >>
24 > I have seen this myself. Some NVidia-drivers caused this. Could be that your
25 > graphics-card-driver is causing a similar issue.
28 I seem to recall there is a setting somewhere that disabled this. I
29 couldn't find it in xorg.conf but I thought it was there but maybe not.
30 The weird part is I can type in a command, like reboot, and it reboots.
31 It's just that the kdm screen is still there instead of the console.
32 Weird. I wish I had a Nvidia card that would go in that thing. I'd
33 disable the built in and use that.
36 > Can you try logging in with a text-console (eg. without /etc/init.d/xdm in
37 > your runlevel) and then start X with kde?
38 >
39 > Eg:
40 >
41 > Put the following into your ~/.xinitrc:
42 > **
43 > exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde
44 > **
45 > ( % echo "exec /usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde"> ~/.xinitrc
46 > )
47 >
48 > Then start X from the command-line with:
49 > # startx
50 >
51 > The above commands do NOT need root-access.
52 >
53 > If this works, the issue is with the login. If this doesn't work, the kde-
54 > session can't start.
55 >
56 > --
57 > Joost
61 Well, I may later on when it cools off. I have to work on this at night
62 when it is cool. That room has little cooling plus two fairly full
63 freezers. Anyway, keep in mind that KDE works in failsafe mode. It
64 logs right in but it is somewhat limited since it is failsafe mode. I'm
65 not sure what that is really but it seemed to work different tho.
66
67 Also, when I login, it seems to get to a little bit of a start then
68 comes back to the login screen. The splash screen shows the hard drive
69 then a couple other pics then goes back to kdm. I have no idea what
70 those other little pics are tho. I do recognize the hard drive one tho.
71
72 I also logged into Fluxbox just fine too. As usual, Fluxbox works. lol
73
74 Thanks. Will post results later on when it cools off some. Supposed to
75 be 102F today. That little room will get to at least 90F.
76
77 Dale
78