From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] default user permissions
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:54:44
1 On Thursday 25 March 2010 10:26:25 Hinko Kocevar wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Where is defined what permissions will the newly created folder/file
5 > have by default?
6
7 This is done by the umask of the user creating the folder.
11 > Eg. When creating a folder I would like it to have permissions right
12 > after it is created, to void use of chmod/chown afterwards:
13 >
14 > drwxrwxr-x 2 hinko users 4096 Mar 25 09:23 folder1
15 >
16 > while now I get only:
17 > drwxr-xr-x 2 hinko users 4096 Mar 25 09:23 folder1
18 >
19 > That is group should have 'w' set.
22 This is a common misunderstanding about permissions and the Unix philosophy
23 about them, which is:
24
25 It's up to the user, not the system, to say what permissions he wants on new
26 filesystem objects.
27
28 Modifing the user's umask is not advised, as this is global. *Every* new file
29 or dir then ends up with g+w and you probably don't want that.
30
31 You need to use Posix ACLs for this, and your file system and kernel must
32 support them; you configure it per directory. It's all in man pages and on
33 google - better start reading.
34
35 Be warned though: you *will* forget you set this, and *will* wonder in future
36 why g+w is set in various places. "ls" gives precious little clue that an ACL
37 is in place.
38
39 I find that in real life, a "find -exec chmod" in a cron is a better solution
42 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com