From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: scanner problem : latest
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 14:30:15
1 On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 15:38:35 BST Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 24 July 2018 15:14:32 BST Philip Webb wrote:
3 > > 180723 Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > > On Fri, 20 Jul 2018 09:04:26 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
5 > > >> Linux Mint 19 leads you along to a point where you've told it
6 > > >> where to install, you click 'proceed' & it chugs along nicely,
7 > > >> then it says it's trying to install a bootloader
8 > > >> without asking whether you want it to or where to do it.
9 > > >
10 > > > For future reference, start the Mint installer with "ubiquity -b",
11 > > > then it doesn't install a boot loader at all
12 > > > and you can add it to your Gentoo bootloader after rebooting.
13 > >
14 > > I started the Mint installer by clicking on its desktop button.
15 > > What is 'ubiquity' & how would I use it ?
16 > >
17 > > > WinErr 018: Unrecoverable error - System has been destroyed.
18 > > > Buy a new one. Old Windows licence is not valid anymore.
19 > >
20 > > That's how I felt for 30 min after Mint played its dirty trick above
21 > > (grin).
22 >
23 > See attached screenshot.
24 >
25 > Meanwhile I'm still at a loss why on a BIOS with GPT system GRUB installed
26 > fine without any mishaps, but upon a GRUB update some days later it refused
27 > to install without me creating a new protective MBR partition marked as
28 > ef02.
29 > :-/
30
31 I just noticed when I start the VM using the aqemu GUI, the system identifies
32 its virtual hard drives as /dev/sda, while when I start it with qemu-system-
33 x86_64 on the CLI it identifies the hard drives as /dev/vda. This is the
34 reason of GRUB refusing to update itself ... I installed with aqemu, then some
35 days later I tried to update GRUB running the VM via the CLI.
36
37 So much for thinking aqemu is a just a simple GUI for running qemu VMs. It
38 evidently does its own tha'ng.
39 --
40 Regards,
41 Mick