From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SHA-1 has just been broken
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 15:07:32
1 On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > So danger of SHA1 collision is much closer than
4 > 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 SHA1 computations or 1 110-GPU year.
5
6 Indeed in every way it is closer than that than when Google started
7 their project, and tomorrow it will be closer still.
8
9 The subject line shouldn't really be "SHA-1 has just been broken" but
10 "Another recent confirmation of SHA-1 being broken." We've known it
11 has been broken for quite a while.
12
13 In the same way, DES wasn't broken when the EFF built their ASIC-based
14 machine. That was just the final nail in the coffin. Anybody who
15 waited for somebody to actually build that machine (and I'd be shocked
16 if bigger players than the EFF didn't have such a machine much sooner)
17 was deluded.
18
19 When somebody discovers an attack on a hash function that greatly
20 reduces the cost to generate collisions into a number that is even
21 remotely forseeable in the next decade, it is time to stop using that
22 hash function. Sheer inertia ensures that even if everybody started
23 changing overnight it probably would still cause problems when the
24 attacks start getting practical.
25
26 Sure, there are threat models where it doesn't matter, but on the
27 SHA-1 front it seems like people have been underestimating their
28 exposure. Certainly Gentoo has exposure until git is fixed and the
29 active tree has non-SHA-1 hashes. Even then the historical tree is
30 vulnerable if we don't rehash everything, though in practice I don't
31 think that matters as much, and obviously slipping a non-preimage
32 collision into the historical tree is impossible unless it is done
33 before the hash functions are changed.
34
35 Sure, you can wave your hands about how hard it is to expoit in
36 practice, and I agree with many of these arguments. However, SHA-1
37 should be viewed as a vulnerability and fixing it as a priority. For
38 Gentoo specifically it isn't really the weakest link in the chain as
39 was pointed out in the other thread, so I'm not sure I'd go rushing
40 out to fork git. Still, we shouldn't be entirely comfortable with git
41 as it stands at the moment.
44 Rich