From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How does ssh know to use "pinentry"?
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 15:29:12
1 On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > Typically they are launched from a bash profile, or an X11 startup
3 > script. KDE/Gnome look like they have it in their default scripts.
4 > Just grep -r gpg-agent /etc and you'll find where it is being loaded
5 > if you didn't add them to your own startup scripts in /home.
6
7 Rich,
8
9 Thank you again. My bash history shows ssh-agent being executed in
10 the past, but I'm still not sure where gpg-agent came from.
11
12 > Using gpg-agent is considered a best practice in general, so I
13 > wouldn't go getting rid of it unless it is really causing you
14 > problems. You haven't mentioned what issue you're actually having
15 > with it/pinentry/etc.
16
17 FYI pinentry frustrates me because:
18
19 1. pinentry-gtk and pinentry-qt do not allow me to "paste" my
20 passphrase. My passphrase is difficult to type. I keep my passphrase
21 in keepass.
22
23 2. Supposedly pinentry-curses will let me paste; however,
24 pinentry-curses doesn't work.
25 https://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/Common-Problems.html
26 suggests that my problem is a misconfigured GPG_TTY environment
27 variable. At this point though I'm not even interested in using it
28 anymore.
29
30 At the moment pinentry is no longer installed on my system so these
31 "problems" should be gone. If/when I understand what is going on,
32 I'll reinstall them.
33
34 FYI I removed pinentry with:
35
36 tail /etc/portage/package.use
37 # 2014-07-05 Avoid pinentry
38 dev-vcs/git -gpg
39 mail-client/thunderbird -crypt
40
41 tail /etc/portage/package.mask
42 # 2014-07-05 Avoid password entry program that disallows paste
43 app-crypt/pinentry
44
45 Chris